Most games are fundamentally designed to run at one orientation, so locking
isn't an issue. :)

If you can actually allow the user to run at different orientations, you can
certainly rely on the screen lock setting to take care of that.  I can see
it also being useful to allow them to select an orientation in your specific
app as well -- possibly representing three rotations, regular and +90 and
-90 (180 is probably not that interesting), as well as a default setting to
use the orientation the system picks.

It would certainly be nice if everything on the Xoom ran at 60fps.  As it
stands, when a rotation is applied some parts of the UI can't achieve that.
 I'm not sure what more I can say to that point.  It's not like with a
rotation nothing can run at 60fps; it depends on how complicated the app's
rendering is.  For example Launcher's UI is crazy complicated -- between the
parallax wallpaper, and various layers in its UI, there were a lot of tricks
pulled out of the hat to get that to run generally at 60fps.  It turns out
that when the screen is rotated on the Tegra 2 some of those tricks can't be
used.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Robert Massaioli <robertmassai...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> You are right in that I would have locked them into the slow case, but I
> guess I just find it odd that there is a slow case at all when it comes to
> orientation. So yes, I will re-consider not locking the orientation based on
> your advice. However, what would you suggest if you game should have its
> orientation locked? Let the user lock it themselves in the settings menu? Or
> maybe making an ingame setting that lets them lock the orientation in-game
> at runtime?
>
> As for fragmentation, I did not think that I was complaining about
> fragmentation but I see the point you were making there too.
>
> Also, I was not trying to say that you lied at all, nothing could be
> further from the truth, I was just letting you know what it looked like from
> an outside perspective.
>
> Finally, I am not saying that 30fps is bad, for pretty much every game it
> is a good framerate. However, it is noticeable for a user when they jump
> from 60fps to 30fps and that was what I was trying to avoid. (And I'm not
> even going to get started talking about the iPad's flaws; needless to say
> (but I'll say it anyway) I am developing for Android because I am a fan of
> Android)
>
> Said with good intent towards productive discussion,
> Robert

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hack...@android.com