I;ve been trying a gravity sensor and a a magnetic field sensor.

Nexus One works. Galaxy Tab 10.1 is the smoothest it has ever been,
but doesn't look correct.

Droid 1 won't register with a gravity sensor (returns false). Just the
opposite of what you see with the Xoom.

I'm back to my original question. In what version was
Sensor.TYPE_ORIENTATION deprecated? So far, I am not seeing the
promise of better results with this method.

Nathan