Currently you can intercept outgoing calls and replace that with your own
behavior, but we don't yet have a way to intercept incoming calls.

The issue of built-in apps using internal APIs is kind-of a red-herring.
Yes, in the case of the phone UI, there are a bunch of APIs that you need to
be able to implement something like your own in-call screen...  however the
fact that they are internal is not really the issue: we could expose them,
but it still wouldn't work because the current implementation of them
requires that you actually be running in the same process as the telephony
subsystem, so they just can't be used by other apps.  For the most part, we
make APIs private because they are not yet something we can maintain in the
future platform are even able to be used successfully by applications.  Not
out of some malicious goal to make sure nobody else can make their own
whatever UI.

Outside of the phone system, for the most part the platform applications use
private APIs because we didn't have time to clean all of the apps up as we
were evolving the official SDK into something that we could support in the
long term.  We would love to accept patches that fix these APIs to switch to
the public APIs.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public
forums, where I and others can see and answer them.