That I'm not sure about. It should have asked you again, especially after
re-installing. I know this because I've made an app that replaces the
default call log as well, and every time i re-install (debug or release), I
have to re-select my default.

A similar issue I did know about, though, is if you would have selected the
original Dialer app as your default, you would have run into the same
problem as you are now. I've been wondering how to fix this. If anybody has
a solution, please help. Thank you.