Unless you have 1000 students at a time to cater for, I see no need to
buy 20 phones.  Just buy one of each of the 5 most popular phones at
the time, and save the budget for future releases.

Developing on the emulator is perfectly fine and is easier than
transferring to the device each time.  You only need to test on a
device when you're ready to release, at which point you want to test
on as many different devices as possible.