On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:03 PM, André <pha...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> That looks good. But I have no idea how to use it?
> I've been trying to find a tutorial for it. Have you found that?

Did you guys notice anything about ProGuard actually supporting
encryption?  Nope.  It just says "obfuscator".

http://proguard.sourceforge.net/FAQ.html#obfuscation

That means it will simply take yourNiceBigVariable names and turn them
into single letter variable names.  That's only secure if you work in
Redmond.

ProGuard will also remove debugging info, w00h00!  But then who
compiles production releases in debug mode?  No one.

Realize Java is bytecode compiled.  You will never be able to fully
protect it by it's very nature.  The Dalvik virtual machine would have
to be capable of decrypting the bytecode before any useful protection
could be available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalvik_virtual_machine

I can't find the word "encrypt" anywhere on the page.

Google did make some sort of attempt at .apk encryption, but we
actually like our apps to appear in the Marketplace, so we don't dare
use it.

Java also fully supports reflection.  That makes writing tools to take
it apart trivial.

The day Dalvik encryption support is announced will be the same day
work will begin to break it.  Count on it.  Develop your business
model with that fact in mind.

The only winning move is to not play.  ~Joshua

Or in my case, I just don't care.  There will always be reversers and pirates.

--
Greg Donald
destiney.com | gregdonald.com