I understand why developers like Jay G. are upset but ultimately this
problem lies with Google, not authors of decompilers. If the app is not
encrypted on the device, hacking is dead simple.  Keep in mind, DRM is
patented encumbered so getting one on the device could easily drive up the
cost of a handset by several dollars, which is a lot when there are millions
of Android devices out there. There are many factors involved in these
decisions but ultimately the cost of not implementing DRM has to be higher
than the cost of doing so. Google and the handset manufacturers are not the
one's that will feel the cost of this so it has to be the operators that
eventually force the issue (they lose 30% of every pirated app).

When getting feedback from developers for ZappMarket, piracy was always in
the top three concerns they had. That is why some wanted to leave Android
Market altogether. But nothing will work without Google and the handset
manufacturers taking action. Solutions like SlideLock and AndAppStore
licensing are susceptible to decompilers.

Developers should keep in mind however, that the developing world only
accounts for 4-5% of sales of applications from app markets. For example,
even a 100% piracy rate in these regions would only be affecting 5% your
potential sales, meaning that even if there were a proper DRM system in
place, you are likely not going to see more than 5% uptick in actual sales
from high piracy regions.

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Greg Donald <gdon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Jay Gischer <j...@gischer.net> wrote:
> > With this tool, you could take an existing app that took perhaps
> > months to develop and in a day or two, change all the logos and
> > cosmetics, and resell it as your own work.
>
> So when someone gets murdered with a gun, you blame the gun manufacturer?
>
> When someone breaks into your house, you blame the window manufacturer
> the crook climbed in through, or the crowbar he smashed your door lock
> with?
>
> I could go on, but hopefully now you can see the flaw in your logic.
>

> --
> Greg Donald
> destiney.com | gregdonald.com

Shane Isbell (Founder of ZappMarket)