On 06/08/2010 01:48 AM, Xavier Ducrohet wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Olivier Guilyardi <l...@samalyse.com> wrote:
>> I think that your problem is that the whole of Android is too monolithic. You
>> are mentioning branches where you could think in terms of standalone modules.
>
> monolithic? Have you looked at git.source.android.com ? There are over
> 150 projects which are exactly modules.

Yes, I looked there many times, and often got lost browsing the projects list at
the git root ;)

> When Dianne refer to branches she talks about release branches. Work
> for froyo, gingerbread and what comes after must be in different
> branches.

Okay, official releases imply branches of course.

> Although, some other projects can have their own branch strategy:
> branching for sdk.git is now split from the rest of the platform, and
> we follow our own release schedule, this is likely to happen for other
> projects that move to the open.
>
>> For example, let's take Dalvik, it's a great VM. So why isn't that included
>> in
>> Debian/Ubuntu for example, why can't I: aptitude install dalvik?
>
> Dalvik is its own module already. As to why it's not in Debian/Ubuntu,
> you can talk to these guys. It's up to them to include it, not us.

For what it's worth, one my apps got included in several Linux distribs a couple
of month right after the first release, without me asking for anything. It was a
much simpler project of course, but it looked like a flexible standalone app.
And even if getting open, Dalvik doesn't yet /look/ like that, although it
could.

>> Whereas WebKit *is*. There even are python bindings. Do you get my point?
>>
>> With modularity, you could maybe safely turn non-sensitive modules into
>> standalone projects, which could be used outside of Android. And that could
>> result in wider interest.
>
> We *have* modularity, we *are* moving non-sensitive projects to the
> open (as Dan said Dalvik is working toward moving to the open).

Then maybe that it's just a matter presenting things as standalone projects, not
just git projects. A matter of communication. Right now, it all looks, or better
said, feels, like a whole big project.

> It's not like we don't want to do all this stuff. It's just that it's
> a huge projects (or a huge number of projects if you prefer), and
> there's some inertia in the way we've been doing things and it's going
> to take us a while to improve, but it *is* happening.

Okay, I'll look forward into it.

Anyway, that was just my $0.99 ideas ;)

Thanks and keep up the good work!

--