On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Olivier Guilyardi <l...@samalyse.com> wrote:

> This openness is your strength, and I think that it will lead to success if
> you
> manage to build an active community of contributors. I'm not monitoring
> this
> closely, but it looks like it is not the case (yet).

Development has increasingly moved to the open.  Unlike many open-source
projects, we have a lot of complications that make it very difficult to just
throw everything into the open: from the fact that in many countries you
can't file patents after any information about them is publicly available,
to needing to work with hardware manufacturers on major new features that
are important for them to control the PR around for their devices.

Development tools, Dalvik, and other things are now done in the open.  There
is increasing desire to have the framework done in the open, but this is
challenging because it will by necessity mean we need to be working in two
branches, to continue to keep sensitive work private until it can be
released.  Given that we also are often working on two more more active
internal branches (for the current release under test, the next release in
development, and often the next release after that), the development process
for having yet another active branch (with all the corresponding merge
issues and correctly deciding which branch X work should go in) is...  not
pleasant to contemplate.

Also, we have been accepting an increasing number of patches from the
community.  I have regularly been reviewing and accepting multiple patches
every week, as have other framework engineers.  This is slacking off a bit
as we wait for the froyo drop, but I am sure it will pick up again.  Most
patches don't need to be done on the very most recent head.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.