On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Olivier Guilyardi <l...@samalyse.com> wrote:
> I think that your problem is that the whole of Android is too monolithic. You
> are mentioning branches where you could think in terms of standalone modules.

monolithic? Have you looked at git.source.android.com ? There are over
150 projects which are exactly modules.
When Dianne refer to branches she talks about release branches. Work
for froyo, gingerbread and what comes after must be in different
branches.

Although, some other projects can have their own branch strategy:
branching for sdk.git is now split from the rest of the platform, and
we follow our own release schedule, this is likely to happen for other
projects that move to the open.

> For example, let's take Dalvik, it's a great VM. So why isn't that included in
> Debian/Ubuntu for example, why can't I: aptitude install dalvik?

Dalvik is its own module already. As to why it's not in Debian/Ubuntu,
you can talk to these guys. It's up to them to include it, not us.

> Whereas WebKit *is*. There even are python bindings. Do you get my point?
>
> With modularity, you could maybe safely turn non-sensitive modules into
> standalone projects, which could be used outside of Android. And that could
> result in wider interest.

We *have* modularity, we *are* moving non-sensitive projects to the
open (as Dan said Dalvik is working toward moving to the open).

It's not like we don't want to do all this stuff. It's just that it's
a huge projects (or a huge number of projects if you prefer), and
there's some inertia in the way we've been doing things and it's going
to take us a while to improve, but it *is* happening.

Xav
--
Xavier Ducrohet
Android SDK Tech Lead

Please do not send me questions directly. Thanks!