Hi, thanks for trying that out, good to see the EHCI hardware initialised
ok, even if its not quite working yet.

Are you supplying power to the USB disk on its /USB/ interface? Even if its
got an external PSU, it might need power on the USB line as well in order to
function properly.

When I plug a device in, I don't see anything at all until I've switched my
external usb-powering battery on.

If the two USB data lines are the wrong way round, you'll see the device
being plugged in, but it'll fail to communicate with it. As I've said, we
can fix this in software :)

I seriously doubt I have to tell you this, but just in case: make absolutely
certain the USB  GND and USB power lines aren't mixed up!

If that's not it, I can send a patch with loads of debugging turned on.