Andrew,

I've tried patching the cyanogen 2.6.29.6-cm42 kernel with your usb
host code for basically the same finds root hub and nothing else
result on a magic32b that Jun Sun posted from a g1.

Im using a usb hard drive's Y cable and a usb A to mini adapter; I
think this should be good as the phone will charge off either the real
mini or the adapted one.  But nothing in dmesg either booting with
devices connected or connecting them later.

I think I need to learn about how the enumeration process is supposed
to trigger in an ordinary host only system.

Maybe one of us can figure out how to try a kernel closer to yours,
also should look for g1/magic vs. hero differences in source.

Chris