The switching modules path may prove productive for our purposes, but I
think actual otg drivers dont do this, as theres a state machine that drives
mode changing automatically, so they keep both drivers resident and
enable/disable them.

The more I look into actual otg however, I'm less intetested than I
originally was.  I think for user purposes it may actually be better to have
manual switching not unlike the enabling of mass storage mode, particularly
as a lot of people are likely to be using cobbled together cable & adapter
assemblies that wouldnt put a compliant otg device into host mode.