On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:35 AM, Josenivaldo Benito Junior
<jrben...@benito.qsl.br> wrote:
> Hello,
> This is Benito from Brazil and I am work on a Android product.
> I am facing a patent issue with one driver that is not GPL.

Why are you asking legal questions on a developer mailing list?

It's like asking medical questions, they really aren't relevant here
and any advice you get might be totally wrong and cause you big problems.

Please contact a lawyer and work with them on this issue.

> It is out of my
> control to release it GPL-like (I do not own the patent)

Note, the GPL does not prohibit releasing patent-covered code at all,
this is done quite often, and the Linux kernel itself has lots of patent
covered code in it, and everything is just fine.

> but I am authorized
> to modify it to meet a feature requirement. I need to export a information
> to user space (any application can read) but follow the common way (/sys FS)
> will lead to GPL violation (AFAIK use kernel functions to export in /sys
> will make the driver GPL too, am I wrong?).

All kernel code must be released under the GPL, so there's not really
a "if I use this function or not" type thing going on, sorry.

Again, work with a lawyer.

good luck,

greg k-h