On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Josenivaldo Benito Junior
<jrben...@benito.qsl.br> wrote:
> Hello Greg,
> Thanks for answering and I will comment below, please continue reading.
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 16:10, Greg KH <gre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Why are you asking legal questions on a developer mailing list?
>
> There is a miss understand here. I do not want legal advice at all.

You are asking about patents and licenses and other legal issues, not
technical ones.

>> Please contact a lawyer and work with them on this issue.
>
> No, it is a technical question, for one developer to another.
> What I originally intended was to hear from developers what can be done
> instead of use sysFS or if there is another way. The fact is, driver already
> exist and is in use out the market.

Wonderful, please point this out to me so that I might take legal action
against the distributors of it.

And yes, I'm serious, this is not allowed.

> I am assuming it is totally legal and that someone cares about this fact.

I care that this is NOT something that is legal to do.

> What I just want to do is keep it as it
> is now. If use sysFS makes it not compile or not compliant with GPL I do not
> want to go that way, it is not what I am supposed to do.
>>
>> Note, the GPL does not prohibit releasing patent-covered code at all,
>> this is done quite often, and the Linux kernel itself has lots of patent
>> covered code in it, and everything is just fine.
>
> I totally agree with you and am aware BUT I am not patent neither copyright
> holder. I have no rights to do this. This is not my business.

Then I would recommend that you not have anything to do with this at all.

>> All kernel code must be released under the GPL, so there's not really
>> a "if I use this function or not" type thing going on, sorry.
>
> Here is somehow an answer to my question. If all is GPL so my assumption of
> driver legality is wrong but I am not (and probably neither you) a
> lawyer then I wise approach would be not go this way.

I'm not a lawyer, but I deal with them on a weekly basis, and my code is
the one you are considering violating the copyright on, so I do know
all about this type of thing :)

> Let's talk about other paths:
> This discussion started due the change of a read permission in the
> /dev/device_name file. Someone here strongly believe that others read
> permission to any device driver is prohibited by Google CTS policy.

Do you have a pointer to where this is stated?

What type of driver is this that needs a character device node?

thanks,

greg k-h