This should be good, given who Greg KH is (hint:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Greg_Kroah-Hartman)

Despite his insistence on not having/offering legal opinions, he immediately
posted one ("this is illegal, tell me who did it") and another, below
("kernel code must be gpl".)

That aside, you missed his subtle change of subject - the original author
was talking about modules external to the kernel (presumably not derived
from it) and therefor not counted as "kernel code". He shifted the topic to
"kernel code" (which is covered by the kernel license, eg gpl.)

Very tricksy..