Jake
Actually the readEvents implementation is all what you want it to be.

Currently Android uses the input_dev facilities to report sensor data.

But that is frowned upon by the input maintainer in the OS community.
They are looking at
using IIO kernel framework to report industrial sensor technology.

So to answer your question you can implement your read on your sysfs
entry or
your input device node.  Retrieving the data from the driver really is
segregated from the actual
reporting of the data to the FW.

Dan