On 04/24/2012 10:12 AM, Kanishka Ariyapala wrote:
> Hi Deborah,
>
> Thanks for the reply and the reference link,
> What I want to do is something like this, tell the scheduler about a
> process(which is not started yet) and the scheduler adding it to the
> rbtree. Any reference material you know of achieving this?
I don't think there's any way (currently) to accomplish this.

The scheduler only works with processes that exist.  There's
no notion that I'm aware of to "pre-schedule" a process, before
any of the kernel data structures for it exist.

Sorry, but I came into the middle of the discussion.  What
are you actually trying to accomplish?  Do you want some historical
information about the process, or about systemwide scheduling
to be present at the time the process eventually gets started?
Is the process starting too slowly?  Are you trying to adjust
the priority of other processes, as if the non-existent one
were already present in the system?

Maybe what you need, instead of a placeholder for a non-existent
process, is just a tweak to the scheduler algorithms to create the
desired scheduling effect once the process comes into existence.
It really doesn't make sense to make the scheduler aware of
a process that doesn't exist.  IMHO, you need to think of a different
way to attack whatever problem you're trying to address.

 -- Tim