For use on qemu or generic PC, you may need to compile the kernel with VESA
Frame buffer support and specify the VESA mode when boot: vga=788 (800x600,
that may be a good resolution, 785 for 640x480, 791 for 1024x768). You can
add it in grub's menu.lst
For disk file with qemu, it may be possible to use dd image of  the
make-live script created usb disk. I haven't tried yet, but it may be
possible.
--
 Chen

--