I have a similar setup. My wifi shows up as eth1. I tried to follow
your instructions, did not quite work. So I am able to load
wpa_supplicant, can connect to AP, can ping and wget files from web.
My system does not resolve domain names for some reason. What do I
need to have DNS working? But the biggest concern is that despite the
fact I can download files from internet, android does not see my wifi.
UI says "unable to start wifi", and log has "E/WifiService(  601):
Failed to load Wi-Fi driver." How do I actually make android's wifi
friends with my driver that is underneath eth1?