Well, adding dns doesn't do much.

After connecting manually i typed setprop net.dns1 XX.XX.XX.XX, and
nothing new happened.

I absolutely have to use ppp from ril in order to have an internet
connection?

if so in the ril what do i do exactly, like simon said i have to start
the ppp-gprs service, but when does android becomes aware that ppp0 is
actually the interface to use when connecting to the internet? I saw a
couple of things in the ip-up and ip-down scripts, but i am not sure
how android does to figure out which interface to use.

Tell me if i am not clear enough.