On Mon, 9 Sep 2019, Michele Neylon - Blacknight wrote:

Carlos

Hi Michele, All,

Nick and others have covered why it should be dropped in their emails to this
list.

Quoting from Nick's:
"
that is as damning an impact analysis as I've ever seen, and it sends a clear signal that the proposal would not solve the root
problem while simultaneously being very harmful to the RIPE NCC.

I'd like to suggest to the chairs that this proposal be formally dropped. It's taken up a good deal of working group time at this point and there is an obvious lack of consensus that the proposal should be adopted as a policy.

Nick
"

I simply read "very harmful" as "the possibility of lawsuits against RIPE NCC". Lawsuits can happen if you have the rules; if the rules are bad (or badly followed) or by the abscence of them (now...).

So i don't really agree with "very harmful".

The impact analysis points to a broad set of issues, YES, which we (the co-authors) may decide to address or not.

It's also pretty clear that the cost implications of this proposal far outweigh any potential benefit.

Perhaps i missed the numbers.

I only read in the IA about "significant finantial impact" (depending on the # of reports received) and "significant cost factor" (from liability insurance).

So it should just be dropped.

And your counterargument about cost is completely divorced from economic
reality.

I haven't really seen a price tag.
The acceptance of that price tag will depend on the viewpoint -- a victim's viewpoint will certainly tolerate a higher price tag ;-)

RIPE NCC are not the routing police.

Of course not. Here we can agree.

But the RIPE NCC already provides some means to identify who is actually breaking the *unwritten* rule that hijacks are not tolerated, and it could do a lot more (imho) for its community at large, the end-users, by removing hijackers from the system after they are *undoubtably* identified. :-)

Regards,
Carlos

Regards

Michele