The documentation may be a little dated, but, we're on 2.3.3 and developed
our web site over a 4 year period with no access to source - only the docs.

There have been a few obscure server bugs where access to the source
would have been very helpful, but the "read the source to understand"
mentality is not necessary to develop with AOLServer, IMO.

Stuff like caching web pages to avoid DB calls - we do that in 5-10
lines of TCL, either caching in shared variables or on disk.  Very simple:

Memory:

  ns_share cache
  -- compute cache tag for this request (maybe using URL, maybe something else)
  if {[info exists cache($cachetag)] && $cache($cachetag,mtime) > [ns_time]-600} {
    ns_return 200 text/html $cache($cachetag)
    return
  }
  -- generate HTML
  set cache($cachetag) $html
  set cache($cachetag,mtime) [ns_time]
  ns_return 200 text/html $html

Disk cache:

  -- compute cache tag for this request (maybe using URL, maybe something else)
  set cachefile $cachedir/$cachetag
  if {[file exists $cachefile] && [file mtime $cachefile] > [ns_time]-600} {
    ns_returnfile 200 text/html $cachefile
    return
  }
  -- generate HTML
  set tempfile $cachefile.[ns_time]
  set fd [open $tempfile w]
  puts $fd $html
  close $fd
  rl_mv $tempfile $cachefile   (C module: "mv" command)
  ns_return 200 text/html $html

I agree that the model of using layers of "black boxes" will not work
very well with web sites because of scalability issues.  If there is a
hot spot on your web site, it can cause HUGE loading problems for the
entire site.  If it is in the middle layers of a bunch of black box
software, how do you fix it?  Adding gobs of servers is always an
option, but then it changes a one-time development problem into an
ongoing system administration problem.

Jim