Tim

Destroying and instantiating beans is a very expensive process and if your site gets
busy be sure you will regret such an approach.

Our Tomcat ( http://www.free-minder.com ) site uses vanilla javabeans where user
data is applied to bean properties and then database update methods are provided to
make changes persistent as appropriate.  We have made the source to the site
available for download if your interested.  We are not experts in Java so this may
not be the "proper way", this was just the way we did it.

>From a career point of view you are sensible to get Java experience because there is
a lot of well paid java work (here in the UK at least).  I am just about to put my
life savings on the line to build a subscription driven web service so my priorities
are not future employment driven!

Good luck with your EJB work - it would be interesting to compare notes in 6 months
after we we have both crossed over, albeit in opposite directions.