From: AOLserver Discussion [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf
Of Dossy
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 3:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [AOLSERVER] AOLServer+ACS+Java <= AOLServer+TCL?

On 2001.05.02, Tim Darling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> EJBs can be ACID-compliant.. the key is you don't write new values to the
> beans.
> If a value needs to be updated, you write to the database and then kill
> and remake the bean.  This way you're keeping the database as your sole
> data abstraction, and the beans are just a local mirror of some parts.

You misunderstand the purpose of ACID, I think.

What happens if the database update succeeds, but somewhere between
the update and the kill/remake of the bean, the process fails?

Now, the data is out of sync.

Unless you can make the kill/remake of the bean as part of the
database transaction (if the kill/remake of the bean doesn't
happen, the whole operation gets rolled back) ... then it doesn't
pass the ACID test.

Or, am _I_ confused?

- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara                       mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]