Because it takes precious limited time and effort away from the mainline codebase.

Other's people time as much precious as mainline developers, that's the attitude i am against of: "AOL is the biggest paid contributer and has the right to define the direction, others can play with new things at their homes"

I understand AOL's position that's why i'd like to propose development
version which
can be different from the mainline. They can go into different
difections, exchange code
that can run on both and exchange bugfixes. I personally can find some
time for it, anyway i do it already,
why not providing sources to others. But this version will not depend on
AOL and will not fit into AOL's time
schedule, so no pressure.

If we had so many active developers and contributors that a few of us
could just go off in the weeds and play with "wouldn't it be cool if"
type of ideas, I'd be the first to suggest this kind of a code-fork or
branching pattern, to keep them from mucking with the mainline code that
everyone else has to deal with.

How come, we already have at least 3 developers (me, Stephen, Zoran)who already have spent time developing and testing new functiuonality. And i do not know how many more have developed something interesting which does not conform with mainline codebase direction. How many it should be to start taking it seriously. You see, for example, i wrote SNMP module, it requires some patches against main code to run. I know several people already using it, they found it, tried and start using. Without that module they would go with other solutions and talks about how aolserver would be great if for example: - you write it yourself because AS is great developement platform or - you submit your interest and we will see if we can develop it do not make sense, they will use the tools that already written.

Providing more modules and functionality will give others chance to try it.
Let's admit it, AS will never get so popular as apache or IIS and all
efforts for making it popular
without something that will differentiate it from apache is waste of time.

-- AOLserver - http://www.aolserver.com/