On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:06:21 +0100, Zoran Vasiljevic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is my wish-list. Do whatever you consider appropriate.
> It is *far* from complete, but I guess I have to start with something.
> (I have no reason of hiding it, I'm not secret service):

Interesting list.  Here's what I've been up to and what I'm planning:

I've incorporated all the bug fixes and feature request I listed on
sourceforge, plus the following additional items:

Added a simple cookie API in C and Tcl.

Ns_ParseObjv: A routine to ease writing Tcl procs in C by parsing
switches, converting data types, writing error/usage messages etc.

Created a Tcl callback infrastructure.  This makes it easy to create
Tcl versions of the many C hooks.  Converted some existing code
(tclresp.c, tclsched.c etc) to use this.

Modified interp allocation to enter interps recursively.  This
prevents multiple interps per thread being allocated needlesly for the
case when you call some command in Tcl which is a hook function, and
the hook itself is implemented is Tcl.

Virtualised page root handling.  You can now register a function (C or
Tcl) which returns the page root for the current server.  This is
*not* the same as url2file as the latter depends on the URL (but see
my patches on sf where I've extended this).

Create a simple nsmassvhost module which alters the page-root
depending on the HTTP Host header.  No config file entry needs to be
made ahead of time, making it efficient to handle many virtual hosts.

Incomplete:

At the moment I'm attempting a re-write of Ns_Cache, i'm about 70%
done.  A much simpler interface is presented: Ns_CacheEval(), inspired
by the Tcl module.  No explicit locking is required.  The Tcl API has
been incorporated.  The code is much smaller.

I've written a new database driver manager, nsdbi.  It's functional
and aprox. 80% complete, although there are a lot of extra features
that I'd like to add.  Has native support for bind variables, doesn't
use ns_set, gathers statistics, presents a nice Tcl API etc.

TODO:

Re-introduce the old Ns_ModLog or something similar.  *everyone*
re-writes this in Tcl.

Authentication and authorization API.  Important for multi-protocol work.

More introspection, for example  registered procs/filters (Rob Seeger
mentioned this)

Config parsing work: better handling of defaults, a command line
switch to dump current state, etc.  Tom mentioned this.

Export more functionality to libnsd.  I'm thinking that dummying up a
conn request environment will allow easier testing.

Plus a whole lot more.  There's really a lot of great things that could be done.