On 2008.04.11, Brett Schwarz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So, what I am proposing is that ns_return follows a similar structure.

I'll suggest the introduction of "ns_return_compress ?on|off?" --
similar to ns_adp_compress, but for ns_return.  It would set the
Ns_ConnSetGzipFlag accordingly, but in requests that are not in an ADP
context.

> *If* we do decide to go with a "flag" (similar to ns_adp_compress), I
> would like to see the default to be "on".

In reality, compression of the output stream doesn't make sense until we
implement better server-side caching, which I briefly discussed with Jim
several years ago.  The basic idea is: some requests are "mostly static"
... generated in response to a dynamic request, but the response across
separate requests is static until some event invalidates that cached
response.  In that scenario, compression of the response makes sense:
you compress it once and return the compressed version "many" times.

However, current AOLserver implementation where all dynamic requests are
generated dynamically, compression almost doesn't make sense: how many
folks are still serving content to narrowband (dialup) users?  For the
high-bandwidth users, the "cost" (in time spent) of compressing the
response vs. the savings in transmission time is almost equal (thus the
"minsize" parameter, preventing small responses from even being
compressed at all).

This can partially be addressed in current AOLserver by writing a
request handler that checks an NSV cache.  On cache misses, the response
is generated, compressed and stored in the NSV cache and returned to the
client.  On cache hits, it's simply an NSV fetch from cache and return
the already compressed response.

Some things to think about ...

--
Dossy Shiobara              | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://dossy.org/