On Friday 11 April 2008 17:00, Don Baccus wrote:
> You could also have an explicit ns_returnz for those who want finer-
> grained control - leave compression off in your configuration file and
> explicitly request it if you want it.

Uggggg! Yes, this is more or less the basis of my suggestion: a separate API
which would bypass the configuration setup. I think it is a dumb idea in
general to use it, but it is much better than changing the ns_return API.

My original suggestion to use something like ns_returnz was for testing and/or
hacking. The configuration part of this code could be more difficult to get
right than a simple new command.

Like I said in a previous note, you could use a url pattern as a switch, but
the idea of using the mime type is probably even better. In addition, it is
very likely that this information will be available at the correct time, and
the compression operation will always require modification of the headers, so
mime type triggers seem very good.