Hi Keld,

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012, at 19:55, k...@keldix.com wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 02:54:27PM +0200, Kevin Brubeck Unhammer wrote:
> > Francis Tyers <fty...@prompsit.com> writes:
--snip--

> > > (3) You make the two translators in the one pair. For this, you could
> > > have the same Swedish dictionary, but would need different nb and nn
> > > dictionaries, different sv-nb and sv-nn dictionaries and different sv-nb
> > > and sv-nn transfer rules.
> > >
> > > I think that (3) is probably best, but would like input from others
> > > (e.g. Unhammer or Trond).
> >
> > (3) sounds best to me too. Perhaps you could even do with one bidix, and
> > just use the alt="nn" vs alt="nb" attribute; a rough and dirty count
> > shows that the majority of entries in the nn-nb bidix carry over the
> > same lemma/tag:
> >
> > $ lt-expand apertium-nn-nb.nn-nb.dix | grep -v ':[<>]:' | awk -F:
> > '$1==$2'|wc -l
> > 71628
> > $ lt-expand apertium-nn-nb.nn-nb.dix | grep -v ':[<>]:' | awk -F:
> > '$1!=$2'|wc -l
> > 11365

Some one who can tell the easiest way to add the "alt-tags" to the
dictionnaries, before merging them?
Maybe one can have an easy procedure to add new entries when the
included languages are updated?

> As Danish is a kind of old Norwegian bokmaal, maybe we could inlude that
> language too.
> Then all three languages could benefit from the combined work.

You're right! My hand cream example comes to mind. I quote again:

"On my hand cream I can read "N/D Intensivt mykgjørende/blødgørende
og pleiende håndkrem/håndcreme.""

Just for fun I tried to translate a text in Norwegian bokmål (nb) to
Swedish with the da-sv pair and just about half the words where marked
as unknown.

Your suggestion would be a very radical solution! Very non-ortodox. A
practical solution, rather than a solution founded in theoretical
linguistic considerations. Might be very fruitful! The new "languge
pair" Swedish (sv) - Danish (da)/Norwegian bokmål (nb)/Norwegian nynorsk
(nn)!

> > > Yes, I would take the Swedish dictionary from sv-is and the Norwegian
> > > dictionar(y,ies) from nn-nb.
>

> I have also been working on swedish nouns from SALDO.
> I was working on a scheme that could remove about 60 % of the
> eambiguities.

What kind of work? A constraint grammar or what?