On 21 August 2012 11:50, Mikel Artetxe <artet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Per Tunedal <per.tune...@operamail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mikel,
>> I'm sorry, I didn't explain properly.
>> I referenced to the so called "modes" of different language domains,
>> e.g. "economic" language as opposed to "standard" language:
>>
>> as previously described by Jimmy O'Regan for the pair es - fr.
>

> Now I understand you. If you look at the modes.xml file of apertium-fr-es
> here, you will see that there are specific modes for it (eco-fr-es and
> eco-es-fr), so when the pair is compiled their respective .mode files are
> generated. So my assumptions were correct, and you can include these modes
> in a package as usual (look here for instructions).
>
> Is the OmegaT plugin compatible with it? In principle, it is. The only
> problem is how it could detect that it has to use this specific mode.
> Currently, the mode to use is selected according to the source and
> destination languages that were set for the OmegaT project. And eco-fr
> cannot be selected as a source language, so the OmegaT plugin would never
> use it. But it is still compatible, as renaming the mode to mislead the
> plugin and force to select it would work. If people consider that native
> support for this sort of variants would be useful, it would be possible to
> extend the OmegaT plugin for it. In the meantime, you can use this hack.
>

>> I simply inferred that it might be a problem if the "alt-tag" would have
>> multiple uses (for the same language pair): a) indicate language variant
>> e.g. Norwegian bokmål as opposed to Norwegian nynorsk b)indicate
>> language domain e.g. "economic"/"astronomic" or what ever domain as
>> opposed to other domains or standard language. Maybe I've missed
>> something that's obvious to you others.
>

> I guess that this question is not specific to the OmegaT plugin but applies
> to Apertium in general.  I don't know if that's possible or not (reading
> Fran's answer it seems that there are better approaches, anyway),

That was more like "there may, at some point in the future...", but
the salient point can probably be summed up best as "get something
working first, _then_ worry about the details".

As it happens, I can show you where to start for Swedish:
http://spraakbanken.gu.se/eng/resource/kelly

If it's not in that list, you don't need to worry about it. Once you
have a working translator, _then_ you can worry about the more obscure
words, if you want, but not before then - a Swedish translator that
doesn't know what to do with, say, 'att' is going to be useless, no
matter how big the dictionary is.

--
<Sefam> Are any of the mentors around?
<jimregan> yes, they're the ones trolling you