from Bernie:

>Something like:
>mode com1 baud=19 parity=n data=8
>
>should work as initializer for the com-port. I don't have the modem connect
>to this computer so I can't test it, "help mode" will get you more
>information.

I never initialize the COM port with the MODE command under DOS.  I am able to
access COM4 as 0x2e8 and get the appropriate speed for a 56 K modem.  I use
115200 as the speed for dialup Internet connection, which works with DOS (both
DR & MS), OS/2 Warp 4 and Linux.  OS/2 requires a CONFIG.SYS statement to
recognize a modem on COM3 or COM4.  Linux, as far as I know, requires a
setserial command.

Ricsi> I would buy at least a 28k8 modem.
Ricsi> They are really cheap, and twice as fast as a 14k4 ;)

Finding a new 28.8 K modem might be very difficult.  A used 28.8, or a leftover
new one that wasn't sold, should be very cheap.  This is becoming increasingly
true for 33.6 K as well.

Ricsi, what is SoupGate-Win32?  A Win32 version of the DOS program?