Sam wrote:
>If I have a properly configured working modem installed, the first thing I
>would do is to enter the following series of commands at the command line
>while running in real DOS mode, (Not a Windows DOS-box):
(snip)
>If
>nothing happens, then you have a winmodem.  Winmodems are easily identified
>by their unresponsiveness to DOS commands.

Nope, the above test only works if the com-port is configured already -
otherwise it will not work. I have a USRobotics 33.6 modem and it sure
isn't a Win-Modem but the above test will not work (I know since this is
excatly what Linux tried to do when I asked it to connect to the ISP).

Something like:
mode com1 baud=19 parity=n data=8

should work as initializer for the com-port. I don't have the modem connect
to this computer so I can't test it, "help mode" will get you more
information.

BTW: What does DR-DOS allow as a max for "baud rate" (Microsoft are using
the wrong term - baud is inside the modem, it's 4800 IIRC since the 14k4
modems)?
BTW: "baud rate" should be DCE<->DTE speed to be correct, DCE = Data
Communications Equipment (the modem), DTE = Data Terminal Equipment (the
computer).
//Bernie
http://bernie.arachne.cz/ DOS programs, Star Wars ...