http://qalandari.blogspot.com/2009/09/music-review-blue-hindi-2009.html

Outright fun, not to mention silliness, has long been a casualty of A.R.
Rahman's recent Hindi oeuvre. Unlike in Tamil, Rahman simply hasn't done very
many soundtracks for "ordinary" Hindi films of late. That is, the typical
Rahman Hindi album this decade has been a Swades or aJodha-Akbar, or a Delhi-6
-- not a Rangeela or a Daud. The last year might well be the beginning of a
shift, with Ghajini, and now Blue. No song in either album will ever make a
list of Rahman's best, but equally, no-one can doubt that at their best, these
albums feature a more playful Rahman, the sort of souffle-lover one missed in
the likes of Jodha-Akbar. On the down-side, at its worst, the likes of Blue do
give the impression of a composer who hasn't lavished much care on his work.
Luckily for us, the balance comes down on the side of buying the album.

Fiqrana began with a nod to Ghajini's Kaise Mujhe Tum Mil Gayeen, but then,
when it seemed one of the Mahesh Bhatt stable of composers had taken over the
song, my heart sank -- not that there is anything wrong with those neo-Pakipop
songs, it's just that such generic music is unworthy of Rahman. At the
fifty-five second mark, I realized how wrong I was as Vijay Prakash's voice
segued from the familiar sounds of a number filmed on Emraan Hashmi to the more
rhythmic, almost drunk "Jeet te hain hum larh larh ke"; and then, after about
ten seconds of the addictive loop inaugurated by those words, the song begins
to soar with "Hum mehekte ... gulzaaron mein". By then, this listener was
hooked, with no possibility of escape. This song doesn't soar very far in terms
of complexity, and will never be a major Rahman song; but it remains a song
that insinuates itself into the bloodstream, and demands to be heard dozens of
times -- or not at all. That the maestro
 has not lost his taste for light musical confectionery after all these years
in the industry is worth celebrating in itself; but the extent to which this
song's edges have been smoothed out in keeping with the film's aquatic theme
(in no small measure due to Rahman's effective deployment of Shreya Goshal's
voice), means this sweet dish will go down easy. This track is worth the price
of the album.

There is more breeziness in this album: Aaj Dil Gustakh Hai is twice as light
as Fiqrana, and half as interesting; and while Sukhvinder Singh's voice is
always welcome on a Rahman composition, the duo do not break much new ground
here, resulting in a song that is musically faultless but quite safe. That
doesn't mean you'll be skipping this song. Far from it: think of Aaj Dil
Gustakh Hai as the Ocean's Eleven of this album -- smooth, suave, utterly
charming, and rather pointless. Given the song's video trailer features Sanjay
Dutt and bikini-clad Lara Dutta cavorting on a beach and on board a boat, this
track seems like it is just what director Anthony D'Souza ordered.

Rehnuma features Goshal and Sonu Nigam at their charming best, and the somewhat
portentous effect created by the juxtaposition of their old-school crooning
with a relatively overwrought orchestral backdrop makes this a more interesting
song than it otherwise might have been. However, there is something missing
from the song, a certain fun quotient that was needed to justify a song its
musical arrangement does not get all the way there. At least on a first listen:
of all the tracks in this album, this one is most likely to gain by repeat
listening.

No-one will ever accuse the delightfully throwback Yaar Mila Tha of lacking a
fun quotient. Fittingly enough, Rahman resorts to Udit Narayan for the male
vocals here, with Madhushree's faintly over-ripe voice playing the female part.
The song is best thought of as Rahman's attempt to turn his gaze toward the
sort of rollicking love song Hindi film music just doesn't see much of these
days (replete with lyrics like "har maa kahe bete se, laa aisi dulhaniya").
That he is doing so self-consciously is indicated by the early soft-jungle beat
reminiscent of a rather different vibe, namely Daud's "Shabba Shabba"; and by
the decidedly contemporary hip-hop groove the song ends with. It all adds up to
this album's best shot at timelessness, a song that should be as un-dated ten
years from now as it is today.

Bhoola Tujhe is another relatively simple composition, elevated by a chorus
that soars several notches. The song's mellow anthemic vibe is in keeping with
its subject -- Rashid Ali's vocals are addressed to the Creato -- although the
tune seems a bit too upbeat for the lyrics. This song has the smell of a purely
situational number, and as such might well work within the context of the film,
but could have been truly memorable has Rahman himself crooned in place of Ali.
In the final analysis, Bhoola Tujhe is notable for hearkening to an earlier
Rahman, the composer of relatively sparse numbers like Bombay's "Tu Hi Re" --
the effect is one of clean, if safe, lucidity.

The less said about the Blue Theme, the better. Or rather, I'll say enough to
make clear that large chunks of Blaaze's rap are strongly reminiscent of Give
It Away Now by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (or is it Ishq Bector's Dakku Daddy?).
The song flows into some neo-Arabic strains and compelling incantatory
passages, but these aren't good enough to rescue the track (which in fact falls
apart at the very end, as it speeds up and is ultimately washed away in the
sound of the surf). In Rahman's defense, I suspect this piece's function within
the film will be to serve as background music rather than a conventional song.
As it stands in this album, however, the Blue Theme is more a rough draft than
a fully realized composition.

The real stinker in the album is the first track. Piggishly named, I Wanna
Chiggy-Wiggy With You features Kylie Minogue in an utterly generic pop song,
cheerfully interrupted by an equally generic Hindi/bhangra song. From the
song's video trailer, the latter moment affords Akshay Kumar an opportunity to
play his populist card, a gatecrasher persona the actor has perfected beyond
anyone else in contemporary Hindi cinema, but it is disappointing Rahman was
not inspired to come up with something more imaginative to showcase his lead
star's wattage.