Setup my home system today!!

Niyant came over to my house and both of us spent the whole day to setup
my 2.1 system. here is the setup

2 custom modified BIC DV-62 CLRS speakers (modified by Ed Frias
<http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12810>  )
1 JBL 12 inch 400 watt cherrywood sub-woofer
1 Onkyo TX-SR806 Receiver
1 E-MU 0404 USB MIDI interface (to transform laptop audio to audiophile
quality)

We started from scratch and got the speaker cables hookable (with banana
jacks) and also hooked them up to the receiver. After fiddling with
Onkyo startup tests we finally got sound in the speakers!!

The first song?? Luka Chuppi!! I insisted that this is the song the
debuts from these speakers! Got this to play from the iPod

The next step was to get the MIDI interface working to get studio
quality input source from laptop (since i did not have a high end CD
player). This was so frustrating and after a couple of hours got some
instructions from a German website to drive the MIDI interface. It did
not work no matter what and then all of a sudden we heard ARR singing
"Khwajajiiiiii....Khwaja!"

What a an exhilarating feeling and relief! It sounded so beautiful and
this MIDI interface does wonders!! would recommend it to all! Just
wanted to share it to all as it was a whole day spent to get beautiful
sound of AR's music on to these beauties. Hope to keep in touch with
fellow AR fans and audiophiles to keep my foray into audiophilia
progressing

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Suresh Jayakumar <suresh6...@...>
wrote:

> Hi Niyant
>
> Not at all. I am not in favor or against any brand.
> It is just that small enclosures don't sound good to
> my ears. Btw, I have a decent onkyo receiver.
>
> Ps: sorry for the non-arr post
>
> Thanks
> Suresh
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 3, 2009, at 12:48 AM, "niyant_dalal" <niyant.da...@...> wrote:
>
> wiredbeats,
> thanks, that was v detailed. What I liked the most was the 10
reference tracks. This could infact be a separate thread -- digging out
AR's reference tracks (and other composer's in B'wood).

> kaissiom,
> thanks. I'd like to add the AKG K700 to your list. They're rated as
the 'god' of reference headphones.
> you busted another myth -- about Monster Cable. Do you know of any
other cable company that offers good value?

> suresh,
> you've got a nice setup there. you didn't mention what receivers run
your JBLs. also what's your source - Cd / ipod, etc?

> your "speakers #1" -- you're not slamming Bose again, are you ;)
>
> does any one use a lossless Ipod transport like the Wadia dock? This
one's damn expensive for what it does -- but it does something very
interesting (click the link to read more about it).
> (audiohilics forums is what i also usually go to)
>

> --- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, "wiredbeats ." <wiredbeats@>
wrote:

> > hey!
> > i don't know about all that. Just that i am a huge fan of headphones
and i try and collect some rare or some sorta expensive ones. But in
audio stuff expensive does not mean good!..there are some basic ipod
headphones for even 1000 rupees by sennheiser that are damn cool, esply
the bass response. Try it or try 'JBL reference' headphones i think it
costs 2500 rupees, an absolute stunner.
> > OK, here is the little i know and it works
> > Home Theatre
> > Dont go by the number of speakers. Some sony models come with 5
center button speakers and woofer of 4 channels thats like 11 speakers!!
- Farce. Just take any 850RMS above home theatre with auto/manual
calibration. Use manual calibration for rear right and rear left and
notch it by say 1.5 dB. treble sounds crispper then. Works for ALL
RAHMAN DISCS.
> > Don't go by the size of the woofer. As long as its in a wooden box
its fine.However, don't ever push the woofer into a corner of the room.
It booms and the bass reproduction is wrong. You are looking for a
rumble not windows rattling. Move your woofer about half feet away from
walls. Test it by playing Maula Maula track from Delhi 6 ( a suble bass
line that sounds so great!!)
> > If you have some cash to blow try these
> > Jamo S 606 home speaker systemsHarmom Kardon HKTS series
> > And yes, i agree Bose is over rated. Its great but lot of other guys
have caught on and now theres very little difference. Go right ahead and
by anything nice thats has packed speakers in wood. Not plastic.
> > And if you get a DVD/CD player with the package but it. Normally u
only get an AMP. In that case PLEASE do not compromise on your DVD
player. Don't fit local ones.
> > Play CDs and not MP3s in these systems to judge the output.
> > Sometimes we might feel the bass or treble is low while playing a
CD. But the sonic range is usually very rich and if you just change your
seat it might sound better.
> > CD players
> > I sometimes think standlone systems sound way better. When you buy a
HiFI or a mini HiFi, try and locate one with a manual EQ. This feature
is becoming quite rare and i hate it. I found a pair from Wharfedale
quite stunning. But then don't break your head!, but any neat wooden
bookshelf speakers with system of about 150 RMS will be just fine for a
small room. Like a Hostel room.
> > Headphones
> > Firstly, throw your iPOD headphones into the trash. The device works
fine, but pathetic headphones.For your regular use like running,GYMing
etc buy the Sennheiser that comes in a green box ( don't know the model
number). Costs about 1500 rupees. It takes your iPOD audio to a
different level. However, i found HD 595 Senheisser the awesomest one!
Bose also works, but dont pay that much seriously. MP3 is MP3, you wont
get some magic extra sounds and most of today's bollywood music is
compressed and fedility is missing ( this included BLUE also,sorry ...).
Blue sounds bad even in good headphones. Seriously, whats with that?
> > Audiophiles thingy
> > Well, investing on sound is not a bad idea only if you are listening
to that kind of a material in its original medium. And this does not
include Original MP3 CDs! Some of these Sony CD contain 'Super MP3!!'
what the heck is that!
> > The thing is, Audiophiles range is no doubt superior but it depends
a lot on listening ambiance. Mostly we live in apartments with lot of
world noises and volume issues. With this we only end up under utilizing
the machines. And if you hookup an MP3 player you are just wasting your
money in those.
> > Most materials are not produced for Audiophiles.
> > Dos and Don'ts for playing audio CDs
> > Don't look for surround sound in audio CDs. Even if its is Rahman
you won't find 5.1 effect in audio CDs. Its not meant for it. Super
Audio CD or SACD is very rare. I have a few but have not compared with
any standard CD medium of the same track.
> > Don't increase the volume and think wow. If you can't hear details
in 1/3rd volume then either your setting is wrong or the CD is badly
recorded.
> > REFERENCE AR RAHMAN TRACKS FOR TESTING IN YOUR NEW HOME THEATRE/ CD
SYSTEM.
> > Selected purly in brilliance in the sound(Not in any order)
> > Dil Se Re Marudhaani - Sakkarakatti Ghanan Ghanan - Lagaan (Bose
showrooms used this track as demo for a long time!)Taal Se Taal Mila
Gurus of peace - VandemataramDo Kadam - Meenaxi - A Tale of 3 CitiesEkla
Chalo - Bose the forgotten HeroMain Albeli -ZubeidaKwaja Mere Kwaja -
Jodha AkbarAha Tamizhamma - Azhagiya Tamizh Magan
> > Note Roja is missing!..yeah its old now. But worth a remaster i
think
> > Hope this was of some use!!
> > Regards
> > Wb
> >
> > To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
> > From: c.pixels@
> > Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 12:47:26 +0530
> > Subject: Re: [arr] any 'Audiophiles' on this group?

> > > Are you the kind that listens to your music on audiophile-grade
equipment. What's your configuration (receivers, speakers, etc)?

> > Are you ? What is your configuration ? and how much did it all cost
?

> > > One of the first myths that was busted early on by one of my
friends was that Bose makes crappy systems!!! (What??? you may ask).
They have great marketing, but unfortunately doesn't make the cut for
most audiophiles.