John,
As you know, I'm not a BMC employee...so all of my understanding of things
comes from that perspective :)

As I understand it the overview console utilizes a plugin to pull the
information...but, being I don't run ITSM where I work...I can't confirm
this....but even with that said...even if the plugin was pulling the
information...it's the SERVER that determines what type of allocation is
made...so....if I were to guess, and this is 100% a guess...I would guess
that something was re-written in the server that says something along the
lines of 'if the query is coming in from 'this client' and the user is
floating...don't allocate a write token'....and I would assume, that the
'this client' portion of that is specified using the client type function
when that plugin connects....

So...trying to replicate it would be difficult....but in theory not
impossible....