I have an update on this.  It looks like I have this working.  Carl's
suggestion of how to do the bind user format is probably one of the keys to
unlocking my struggles.  Ben's suggestion about using samAccountName in the
User Search Filter was also another key.  Some other things I've learned.

- I have to restart the AR service whenever I make a change to the
configuration.

- Spaces in the Bind User field have to be escaped with a backslash.

- In order to accommodate the different OUs that the user accounts may live in,
I have to create multiple configurations with each one having the appropriate
OU in the User Base field.

I get to play with this again tomorrow.  If someone is aware of how to make it
work with a single configuration to cover all the OUs, I'd like to see it.  It
doesn't take me all that long to create a new one.  I'll probably break the
process again as I go along.  I now need to make AREA use a service account
instead of my own so that I don't have to worry about updating the password
monthly.  After that, I'll have to make it use LDAPS for increased security.

Thank you to all who provided input.

--Dustin Fawver

HelpDesk Technician

East Tennessee State University