Well, the purpose of a CMDB is to track your system hardware.  Ideally,
that happens through discovery.  Most discovery platforms require root
access to servers and such.  That can be a significant hurdle for some
places.  Alternatively, manual entry of CI data can be done.  Data
consistency can be a real issue there as well.

Rick