-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tony Worthington
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 3:19 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Attachement Updation

What about setting a view field to the contents of the attachment?

--
Tony Worthington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Carey Matthew Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
08/07/2007 02:08 PM
Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
cc

Subject
Re: Attachement Updation

Lisa,

Not that I love these ideas... but maybe you can find some solution
down one of these trails... ( The real issue appears to not be a
technical problem. Rather the users do not like reality. :( )

What if you add a "View" button that actually launches a URL? That
would _hopefully_ tell your client that it is the "browsers" job to
keep the user from editing the content and not ARS's job.

Or... as another thought...

    If you can know the types of files that the users will be
attaching then maybe you can find a way to convert them into a PDF and
store the PDF instead of the original attachment. Yes this takes some
programming skills, but if you can convert the document into a format
that the users can not write to then you should be ok too.
    Obviously if every user in the company has a full version of
Adobe, or some other PDF editor then they might still be able to edit
it too. However I find that a lot less likely that finding a way to
tell MS Word, MS Excel, and every other document handler out there to
open the file as "read only" too.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.

On 8/7/07, Kemes, Lisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I can prevent the user from changing the one in Remedy with workflow,
> but my customers get SOOOOO confused when I tell them that a user with
> "read" access can download and print the attachment.  They think read
> access should only be able to read the attachment and that's it.   I
> keep telling them (and documenting and telling them again, and
> documenting some more) that once the attachment is opened, then the
> attachment is on their local machine and is opened with the external
> programs that are loaded on their local machine.
>
> They just can't seem to get this.....and I don't think there is
anything
> that I can do to stop these users from saving it or printing it.  Am I
> correct?  The attachments on the forms are contracts and can be very
> sensitive.  They want the users to be able to read them, but not print
> them out and take them somewhere or save them to a different place.
>
> Ugh.....
>
> Lisa

the Answers Are"

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This is a transmission from Kohl's Department Stores, Inc.
and may contain information which is confidential and proprietary.
If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution or
use of the contents of this message is expressly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy it and
notify us immediately at 262-703-7000.

CAUTION:
Internet and e-mail communications are Kohl's property and Kohl's
reserves the right to retrieve and read any message created, sent and
received.  Kohl's reserves the right to monitor messages to or from
authorized Kohl's Associates at any time
without any further consent.