All,
I would like to hear your opinion on this;

the Compatibility Matrix for Remedy 7.1, page 5  states:
"AR System (Server and Mid-Tier) 7.1.00 requires Java 5.0 and supports
that version or higher."

See:
http://www.bmc.com/support/bmcremedycomp/AR_System_7_1_00_Compatibility_Matrix_v1_0_2.pdf

My client was running the Email Engine on Java 6.0 (1.6.03), which is
in my opinion "Java 5 or higher". They had issues when there were
foreign characters in incoming email messages, this would create error
messages like "java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: iso-2022-jp" in
the Email Error Log form and create email messages with empty contents
in the Email Messages form.

I resolved this by downgrading Java to 1.5.x and reinstalling the email engine.

Now BMC Support states "ARS 7.1 was released before release of Java
1.6.So we have not tested ARS 7.1 with Java 1.6.So If you encounter a
problems with Java 1.6 we suggest you to revert back to the supported
version. (Java 1.5.x)."

Does this make sense? I would have expected that if I experience this
kind of behaviour on Java 1.6, and since 'Java 5 or higher' is
supported, this would be a Software Defect. Do you have opinions on
this?

--
Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards
Michiel Beijen