writing at the time:

There are two possible "errors" that can happen when the ARS server (or
client for that matter) fires a process on your behalf:

#1 The OS fails to initiate the process
#2 The Process Is initiated but fails or returns an error

#1 is generally an environment issue:  path not right, file name not right,
OS permissions not right, etc
#2 can also be an environment issue such as cwd or the "current working
directory", and environment variables, oaths etc not right.  It can also be
something else: bad program, bad data, etc.

You don't say which of the two is happening.  ARS server logging will tell
you what happened (though admittedly not as clearly as one might want).

***  Sorry folks!  This is Windows specific :) Unix would - of course - be
more concise.  ***
***  Windows Tipp:  Download and install cygwin.com  ***

If you want to determine that your process was fired (ie #1 is NOT
happening), change your process from the import command to a batch file that
logs and fires the import command:

*** Caution:  make directory c:\Logs\ *before* executing the batch file ***

File   x.cmd:

Rem    just set the date and time into out log file!
for /f usebackq %%x in (`date /t`) Do set wDte=%%x
for /f usebackq %%x in (`time /t`) Do set wTme=%%x
Echo   %wDte% %wTme% Firing arimportcmd.exe -x -x -x -x ...
>> c:\Logs\xx.log
C:"\<path name>\arimportcmd" -m <value found in first line of .arm file> -d
<path name where the .arm file can be found> -u "Demo" -p "xxxx" -l
c:\BP.log                                      >> c:\Logs\xx.log
Rem above line keeps the output from the arimport command (#2)
Echo   %wDte% %wTme% Firing completed for arimportcmd.exe -x -x -x -x ...
>> c:\Logs\xx.log
pause
Echo   ----------------------------------------------------        >>
c:\Logs\xx.log
Echo   ""

The absence of the file c:\Logs\xx.txt  (please do change names) - and
ensure the directory c:\Logs\ exists!!! - is proof of an "environment"
problem.  The command line is specified in such a way so that the OS cannot
initiate the new process.

The presence of the file proves that the OS did indeed find the batch file.
The contents of the file should tell you what's wrong with the environment
(your running working directory - which could be added to the trace) for
finding the arm etc.

That's it from a sunny warm spring day in Muenchen!
Ben

Ben Chernys

Senior Software Architect
Software Tool House Inc.

Canada / Deutschland / Germany
Mobile:      +49 162 175 0956   GMT + 1 + [ DST ]
Email:       mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web:         http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com

A free notepad for Diary fields:
http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/downloads/DiaryFieldEditor.htm
An ARS API scripting tool used for migrations, integrations, imports,
reports, extracts, batch jobs:
http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/products/SthMupd