-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dwayne Martin
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:45 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Walking table, reading and setting hi-liting rows

Thank you, Frederick, Andrew and Frank, for your replies. I got waylaid
and hope we haven't lost our train of thot.

What I am trying to do is:
1. Let the user hi-lite some rows in a table.  When the entry is saved,
write a list of hi-lited rows into a field, which is saved with the
record.

2. When the record is displayed, read the field and use the value in the
field to hi-lite the same rows that were selected in the previous
session.

The first step turned out to ridiculously simple.  All I had to do is
have an Active Link call a guide that does a table loop and "Table Loop
Selected Rows Only," and it creates a neat little list of hi-lited rows.

I think Step 2 is impossible.  As Frederick has pointed out "you [can]
not set the highlite on multiple rows thru workflow,"  The "Workflow
Objects" 7.1 manual, p223 shows how to select a row by setting the value
of the table field to the desired row number.  But it says nothing about
selecting multiple rows (ie simulating a cntrl-click).

It also appears that you can't even read a table on Display.  My storage
field keeps a list based on an "Entry ID col" field in the table.  I set
up an Active Link to set the table to 0 on Display (un-hilite the first
row), then call a guide that walks the table, and if the field where I
was storing the values is "LIKE "%" + $Entry ID col$ + "%"", display a
message with the value in the "Entry ID col".  The message displayed for
every row, whether the values matched or not, but the "Entry ID col"
value was null.  The table didn't fill till the messages stopped
displaying, and when it did, the first row was hi-lited.  It appears
that the "Display" Active Links fire before the tables are filled, so
you really can't get any info from a table when a record is displayed.

I am used to telling my customers that "Remedy can do anything!"  But it
looks like I have hit a dead end this time.  Could someone please prove
me wrong.

Dwayne Martin