I personally utilize the wonderful ulitilty 'iPerf' www.noc.ucf.edu/Tools/*
Iperf*/ <http://www.noc.ucf.edu/Tools/Iperf/> for all network connectivity
issues, record baseline timings, setup some periodic testing & recording,
etc.

Setup the daemon on the server - then use the executable to record from all
locations with various packet sizes the timings...
--
There have been excellent responses for hardware issues to check such as the
Gig-E 'Auto' setting (only hard code FULL on the adapter and switch), etc.

HTH and good luck
Robert Molenda

--
If it were not for the gutter, my mind would be homeless!