Hi Joel,

Here are some more details.  Basically, this is what we were going to do for
that customer:

1. Have the fax come into a Faxback server
2. The Faxback server would SMTP email the fax as a PDF attachment to the
Remedy Email Engine account
3. The Email Engine would push the email record and fax attachment to a
processing form
4. The processing form would do a run process to save the attachment to a
directory on the ARS server
5. Another run process would run a program to scan the document for barcodes
and return the results to a file
6. Another run process would pull the bar code scan results from the file
back into a Remedy field
7. The bar code number results in the Remedy field (in a specific XML
format) would be parsed and set into other appropriate data fields
8. The appropriate bar code data field would be matched to the other schema
and the attachment would be pushed to that record

For #5, I found an awesome program that scans a PDF and prepares XML output
with all of the barcodes contained in that PDF (even if the barcode is
twisted or skewed).  The program is only $85.  You can find it at:

http://www.metois.com/Eymbarcode/main_eymbccmd.htm

I would be interested in knowing if you (or anyone else) implements this
solution, a tweaked version of it, or a better one.  We will likely be
implementing this in the next fiscal year.

Another side note...  In testing, we found some problems with multiple run
process commands running in sequence in ARS 6.3.  This timing issue was
logged as a defect by BMC.  They said it is fixed in ARS 7, but we haven't
tested it yet.  But if you are going to implement, I would recommend going
with 7 if you aren't already.

Cheers,
Jeff