Shawn,

I have thought _a lot_ about how to describe ARS over the last 10
years. I find it interesting that lots of programmers can not even
agree on what "generation" of a language (and in some cases if ARS is
a language at all) that ARS is. I have also observed that most
business people have a hard time understanding how to manage it
because it does not fit into most of their existing models either.

Ref:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-generation_programming_language
 or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-generation_programming_language
 or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-generation_programming_language
 or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth-generation_programming_language
 or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth-generation_programming_language

( Or any other sites/books to discuss the fine technical distinctions
between those groupings of computer programming languages that you
prefer to site.)

In fact most of these discussions, in the past, have even failed to
try to describe the "type" or language that ARS is.
(Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_language)

For example...
  Can we try to establish if ARS is "compiled", "interpreted", or
maybe does it use a "byte code" model?
  Is ARS a "Visual programming language"? (Ref:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_programming_language)
  Is ARS best described as a "Domain-specific" language? ( If so what domain?)
    (  Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain-Specific_Modeling
      A very interesting read ... and comparison IMO.)

However, at the end of the analysis... these are just categorizations
of the language and likely do not really identify the true strengths
or weaknesses of the language itself.

I will actually suggest that as the languages become more and more
abstract, the strengths will have less to do with the language and
more to do with the "programmer's knowledge of the problem". ( Which
is, again IMO, the fundamental problem with fifth generation
languages, that will take the longest to solve.) And I think this
trait is what makes ARS a "challenging tool" for programmer and
business person a like.

While I think an open and genuine discussion of "pros and cons" are
good for a community to have (many times over), the point is to
formulate how those suggested changes will benefit BMC. After all,
they use the platform to make money. So whatever they are going to
change needs to show ROI to them and not necessarily the customer.
Hopefully the customer will benefit in some way, but it may be less
financial and more "business process" or "standardization" centric
than financial bottom line too.

BTW: I am going to be proposing a session at BUW to talk about "ARS as
a programming language". If it is selected then I hope to see all of
ARSList members there. That would be a sight to see. :)

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach