"Pros and Cons of ARS development"
Being relatively new to ARS development, my "fresh eyes" definitely
agree what I think you're saying: debugging workflow is very awkward.
For a tool that calls itself a development platform, this is not a minor
drag but a gaping hole.  And I too have stared in disbelief at the .def
files...

Remedy could be greatly improved if it could better interconnect with
other tools.  Most Remedy developers have some experience with shell,
VB, Perl, and other utilities.  And some have experience with
programming languages like Java and C.  Being able to use these
utilities or languages with Remedy would be great.

Remedy seems to be too much of a stand-alone development environment.
Am I mistaken...?

RELATED TO THIS TOPIC is that we have found it nearly impossible to
upgrade Remedy after years and years of what I call "casual
customizations".  A "casual customization" is something small, like
adding a field to the HelpDesk form.  (Casual customizations are
contrasted to building an Application in Remedy -- a full-blown project
with its own forms.)

I DON'T blame Remedy for this -- it's clearly a hole that we have dug
ourselves into.  But I have come to believe that Remedy's strength (ease
of casual customization) is its greatest flaw when it is time to
upgrade.  Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to convince users that
after the upgrade they will loose their custom fields on the HelpDesk
form.
But again, this problem was created by us, not by Remedy per se.

(now I feel better...)
John