Gary,

I may be totally wrong about this... but....

I would guess that the archive process basically does this....
  1) Do a search and get a list of 'Entry ID's that match the search.
  2) Loop over the list of 'Entry ID's (likely one at a time)
     2.0) If archive option is to just delete, then do so and skip to
the end of the loop
     2.1) If archive option is to copy to archive form then get the
full detail of Entry X
     2.2) Create new record in the archive form
     2.3) optionally delete Entry X from the source form

So my guess is that the overhead is more about having a thread reading
and writing one record at a time than about any explosive memory
footprint or high CPU usage.

However, if (and I do not know this for sure) the archive process is
single threaded then while this "big list" is being processed it may
delay other archives of other forms. And in a worst case scenario I
would hope that the biggest "problem" would be that the "big list"
takes >24 hours to complete and other forms are "skipped for a day".
That could be a real problem, depending on your application design,
but if that condition would produce problems then you likely should
not be doing the archive process with the AR System Form Archive
feature. (You can not predict or guarantee when the archive process
starts for any given form as far as I can tell.)

Obviously making such changes to minimize impact to production is
wise. I am just not sure that in this case it makes that much of a
difference.
Trust your gut.
Test your ideas.
Decide based on (tested) evidence instead of guess work and your job
will always be much easier. :) You might be the only person using
MSSQL in some strange way that makes the process take a week instead
of an hour. Testing can hopefully tell you that.

Let us know how it works out.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Opela, Gary L CTR USAF AFMC 72
CS/SCBAH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks Chintan. I don't have as many resources available on my server,
> so I think I'll schedule the first run this weekend.

<snip>