Gary,

Well since you put it that way... :)

That behavior sound like a bug/failure to me. (Please report it before
I get stuck in that condition too. :) )

I wonder if you can:
1) Disable archiving on the server.
   (Server Information, Configuration tab :  May require an ARS server
restart, but I am not sure)
2) Make the change to the Form.
3) Then enable archiving on the server.

Maybe if you go at it that way you can get around the admin tool timeout?
  If the admin tool still times out.. maybe you can do step 3 by
editing the ar.conf file and sending the server a signal to reread
it's config file?

Just a WAG.

--
Carey Matthew Black