Chris,

Exactly. The Mid-Tier would not need to go get the objects (again) on
startup. ( So what value would the prefetch really have at that
point?)

I would also note that to my knowledge when you choose to "flush the
cache" (which is unfortunately needed some times) then the persistent
cache is "wiped clean" and the prefetch is NOT used to get it back to
a "starting point" either. You have to stop the Mid-Tier and start it
to trigger the prefetch stuff.

So if prefetch is only used on startup, and a persistent cache trumps
fetching all those objects again then I just do not see the usefulness
of the prefetch. I guess it might help after you flush the cache and
restart the Mid-Tier. ( However that has for a long time felt more
like a workaround to various bugs in the Mid-Tier than a standard
practice that we should be doing. )

In my shiny (dream) universe....

   I tend to think that it would be "better" if the Mid-Tier(s) could
talk to each other and propagate changes to their caches between
themselves. So when the first Mid-Tier sees that "Object X" changed it
warns the others in the cluster, gets the new def, fixes it's cache
and then "shares" it's cache with the other Mid-tiers. ( You know,
like the Admin thread does for the worker threads in the AR System
server.)
  ) The load on the ARS server(s) is lower on NodeN startup conditions
from Mid-Tiers and the user experience might be more consistent.
  ) Dealing with self caching clusters where one of the nodes is
"stuck with a bad cache" can be difficult to identify in the first
place. Example: Some users see the field, others do not. Heck, even
knowing which Mid-tier the user was using behind the load balancer can
be an adventure if your not doing Mid-Tier logging and grepping
through those files.
 ) No "Prefetch" is needed. The first Mid-Tier to start up uses it's
persistent cache, if any, and the next Mid-tier get's a copy of the
then current cache from the first one. (Already updated based based on
user activity.)

But maybe it is just me...

--
Carey Matthew Black