One way to do this is to use an Escalation which runs every night during
off-hours. The setup is the following:

1.      Create an Integer field with Administrator only permissions - I
usually call it "Days Open"
2.      Setup an Escalation which performs Days Open = Days Open +1
every night on each record
3.      When you report, used the clause 'Status' < "Resolved"
4.      Use the Days Open count for further statistics after the Case is
Resolved.

The result is a count of number of days the case was open at a specific
time (using Create-date and Modified-Date in the query).

Another way to do this is to create an Audit Trail form which holds
status transactions. A query against this will give you what was open
during a specific past time. The form will get very large, so you will
have to come up with a good archive scenario. A good rule of thumb is on
average, each Case will have seven (7) modifications. Therefore your
Audit form will increase by 7 times for each Case. From an Archive
standpoint, calculate how often you report. If it is 30 days, hold 30
days before you archive. If its yearly, hold a year and so on! Over 30
days may require creativity on the backend by holding archives in .arx
files and reloading as you need them (something which can be automated).

You can also use Status-History for calculating open times.

Just some thoughts,

Gordon M. Frank

Lockheed Martin